VEGAS CREST CASINO
The agreement calls for:
• regular meetings between deputies and Soboba leaders
• cultural awareness training for deputies
• key tribal leaders will be informed of potential Sheriff investigations
• deputies will continue to enter the reservation for 911 calls and "hot pursuit" cases
• deputies will engage in little, if any, routine patrolling
Tensions have been building for years between the Soboba band and law enforcement. Officers report they have been shot at on the reservation. Other officers report recovering caches of weapons, stolen cars and drugs. Last May deputies engaged in two firefights with tribal members carrying assault rifles.
Eli Morillo, 26, died in one shootout. He was the son of former tribal chairwoman Rosemary Morillo. She had another son, Peter Morillo, 27, fatally shot by officers in 2002.
Two other tribal members were killed by deputies in May. Joseph Arres, 36, and Tamara Hurtado, 29, cousins of the tribal chairman.
Since then, the two sides have met weekly to resolve the tension. They were
joined by a mediator from the U.S. Justice Department and officials from the
Bureau of Indian Affairs. The result is this deal for better communications and
training to prevent future violence.
Return to California Casinos.
US PLAYERS WELCOME
A World-Class Casino! *Best Slots, Blackjack, Table Games, Sports Book.
Rev up your action with this fully loaded Poker Room and hundreds of casino games!