Florida Supreme Court rejects Crist's deal with Seminoles
January 28, 2010
SEMINOLE GAMING TABLES REMAIN OPEN
TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Supreme Court ruled 6-0 last week that Gov. Charlie
Crist violated state law by signing a casino gambling compact with the Seminoles
"We hold that the Governor does not have the constitutional authority to bind
the State to a gaming compact that clearly departs from the State's public
policy by legalizing types of gaming that are illegal everywhere else in the
state," wrote Justice Raoul Cantero for the court.
The court also stated its decision is not final until it has ruled on any motion
Spokesman for the tribe, Gary Bittner, said "That process is likely to take a
number of months. Depending on the final decision by the court, the tribe may
seek review by the United States Supreme Court … From the tribe's perspective,
they're studying the decision."
Bitner said the casino has no plans to close the tables. They are open and
"We opened 71 tables and they were installed with the approval of Gov. Crist and
the federal government," Bitner said. "We had 40,000 people playing at those
tables the opening week. They're playing at the tables now. The slots are open
in six of the seven casinos in the state operated by the tribe."
Return to Florida Casinos.