SugarHouse seeks interim casino
April 6, 2009
PHILADELPHIA – SugarHouse Casino said today it is seeking approval from the
Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board to open an interim casino in Philadelphia some
time after April 1, 2010, or nine months from groundbreaking.
SugarHouse's original plan called for a $550 million casino offering up to 5,000
slots. The interim casino would operate 1,500 slots under a revised plan
negotiated between the development group, HSP Gaming, and the Nutter
administration. The casino will be shifted away from the river, "preserving the
natural river's edge," SugarHouse said. The gaming floor and food-and-beverage
facilities will be at street level instead of the second floor. There will also
be pedestrian access to the riverfront and a multi-story parking garage for
Mayor Michael Nutter, who had been an early critic of the casino, gave the
revised plan his blessing after it incorporated design changes sought by his
"It is in all of our interests — and the interests of the taxpayers — to get
this facility open as quickly as possible," Nutter said Monday. "The reason is
quite simple — construction and opening of this new casino will bring with it
hundreds of much-needed jobs, and millions of dollars in revenue to the city of
Philadelphia. There is always disagreement about any major development, but
surely we can agree that now is the time when we desperately need these jobs and
The interim facility would be part of the final casino. Its would create 500
construction jobs and 500 casino jobs. The full casino would create another 600
constructions jobs and 500-600 casino jobs.
HSP must now receive regulator approval and acquire the necessary permits.
Construction could start four months after the approval and would take nine
months. The interim casino would then open in the second quarter of next year.
Return to Pennsylvania Casinos.